Frostbound
Run toward the sun
Welcome to the fray
or Register
Faux Paux
10-20-2020, 05:33 AM
  Reply  | 
Tyto Aspen

As they walked through the library, past scores of books, his companion began to speak something in response to his familiar's name. He could hear the chuckle in her voice and he rolled his eyes, not really seeing what was so amusing about the whole thing. "My parents named her, actually, but yes. I was named Tyto and to keep in line with my own name, she was named thusly." What was so funny about that? It was a name. Everyone was always laughing at every little thing; it made no sense at all.

He would turn his head so that he could say his next words more easily to her. "Arachnae is fine. A pleasure to meet you." Nicknames, he normally wasn't fond of them. Just like jokes --save for perhaps a few good ones that he sort of liked-- they were pointless. In any case she was likely named after a spider or the creation myth of spiders. An interesting story and an interesting name.

"Miss Arachnae, it is my job to help patrons so do not trouble yourself with my predicament. As for how I see," Which he figured wasn't her business but he supposed she was trying to be nice. "I am not completely blind. I can read up close just fine and I am a fairly fast reader at that." The librarian said with a sniff. He didn't want to toot his own horn, or actually, he did. Not many could boast an extended vocabulary like he held or the ability to read quite as quickly as he could... once the book was right in front of his face.

"We are here." He said without much preamble as he drew to a stop at a large shelf. He glanced upwards to a shelf that was at least two wolf lengths above him and distinctly out of reach of the short male. "Ah, one moment, there is a stool here somewhere. The book you are seeking is there. A guide on salves, herbal remedies, and treatments. There are a few and I can grab all of them for you." With that he would start to make his way away, scanning for a stool that he could stand on so that he could help the woman out and do his job properly.

385| @Arachnae | notes

"If you only read the books that everyone else is reading,"
you can only think
'what everyone else is thinking.'
Background © Kelly Sikkema | Code © Plymouth

10-20-2020, 05:14 PM
  Reply  | 
Arachnae flicked her ear in response to his statement. Well, it was clever on his parents behalf. "Im glad to hear I am not burdening you. And its nice to know you don't struggle as much as some of us may. I am lucky to still have good vision, unless exposed to sunlight for anlong while." She slowed as they came to the masisve shelf he claimed was the one they needed, containing any information she may need on how to treat her wounds. She had a wonderful memory- so she would only need to read through it once to obtain the information, then go back and collect her supplies to do what she needed. She watched as he searched around for the stool he spoke of. It was needed, as she wasnt much taller than him and she would also have struggled to get the books she needed. Around her neck, Rinora began to wiggle, excited to the new 'friend' he has gotten to meet. Her hood opened and she moved into a dance. Arachnae ignored her antics, mildly, she wondered how this anti-social wolf would react to drinking, or going out of any sort. He was nice..... Sort of. He wasnt rude, just straight forward. It was sort of refreshing, really, to have someone tell you exactly how it is. Whenever he returned, she smiled at him, "Your help is greatly appreciated, really. Perhaps when I take care of this mess on my neck, you would allow me to take you out for a drink? Maybe hunting? Try and get you out of here. Books are nice, but I imagine being in here all the time gets tedious." she offered, the brow on her scarred eye lifted in eager questioning.

10-22-2020, 12:41 AM
  Reply  | 
Tyto Aspen

Vision without glasses... He often wondered what that was like. How nice would it be to be able to see someone across the room without having to squint or to be able to read without being very close to the page. Ah, if wishes were fishes the poor of Yaurith would never go hungry. Alas, he was not to think about the "what ifs", not when there were always more than enough things to do in the present. Like helping this woman with whatever research she needed. Towards that end, he disappeared around a corner in search of the stool and found it, before long. He snatched it up in his mouth and carefully made his way back.

When he made it, the woman began speaking again but for the monent he was unable to acklowedge it with the item in his mouth. It wasn't until he sat it down and arranged it expertly that he would say something in reply, "Don't mention it." He said to the first half of her words as he climbed onto the stool. One ear tilted back as he listened to her words while he reached up, up, up... and then nearly fell when he heard what she said. "What?" He looked back at her, eyes squinting as he tried to see if she were pulling a fast one on him. A drink with the librarian? Now that was new. No one ever wanted to have a drink with him... nor did he particularly ever want to imbibe. Having muddled thoughts was not something he was ever fond of.

"Tedious? Miss, I assure you, I cannot afford to let my work get tedious. I run this library all on my own and it is a necessity that I forgo hedonistic pleasures so that I may accomplish my work more--" 'It wouldn't kill you to take a break...' He stopped mid-word, ears perking as he listened to words that only he could hear from his familiar. Yes, but there was always so much and he was so lost without his stacks of books. Everything made sense here but out there...

He shook his head as if to clear it and then turned back to grabbing the book for the woman. "I never find reading or documentation tedious... I also do not drink. I like to keep my mind clear." Hunting? Well, he did used to do that sometimes with his father and still went out of necessity sometimes. Not that he was any good at it with his berry-bright coat...

He grabbed the book and then slowly made his way down the ladder before offering it to the woman. "Here you are. Is there anything further that you need assistance with?" He said nothing further about the offer to go out. Hoping she would drop it but not giving an outright "no" as Alba had chimed in with her opinions which he held in high regard.

491| @Arachnae | notes

you can only think

10-22-2020, 02:39 AM (This post was last modified: 10-22-2020, 03:27 AM by Arachnae.)
  Reply  | 
Despite how she wanted to but in, insist constant work wasnt good for the mind or body, she figured talking over him would get her nowhere. So she let him finish his words.
"Tedious? Miss, I assure you, I cannot afford to let my work get tedious. I run this library all on my own and it is a necessity that I forgo hedonistic pleasures so that I may accomplish my work more--" He seemed to shake his head as if disagreeing with himself, but she didnt think much of it, knowing he wasnt to only one here.
I never find reading or documentation tedious... I also do not drink. I like to keep my mind clear.
"I understand that. But also, being in here always wouldn't do your body any good. You will develop a arched spine, become weaker. If not to drink, maybe to hunt, or even just take a walk with me this evening, when the sun begins to set. I know a place where the stars shine like precious gems as the moon makes its way up, and the sky is a canvas of oil paints. Its beautiful, and not many things get my admiration." she said, smiling sweetly at the male as he gave her the book. "And you are the first i have ever met like me. Perhaps i am not ready to quite let you go." she winked slyly.

10-22-2020, 04:04 AM
  Reply  | 
Tyto Aspen

The wolf made a disgruntled "hmph" sound at the woman's observations. True though she may be, it still didn't mean he would gladly admit the fact. "I am aware of such facts but sacrifices must be made for the sake of duty and education." He could hear Alba's mental snort in his mind. So many sacrifices, his life and his lack of friends was all for that fact. He remembered that his father used to try to get him to go out more but Tyto always preferred to be a workaholic. It was what he knew best. The idea of getting himself into something new made his stomach churn with anxiety of the unknown... Still though, what a brilliant picture she was painting. The sky like a canvas, ah, he'd always had a love for the arts even if he wasn't gifted with a companion that had thumbs to paint, he so enjoyed looking and then to see the sky in such a state. One could practically see the gears in his mind turning. "Still, the sky in such a state does sound rather enchanting..." He lifted a paw to fiddle with his glasses as they became askew.

He frowned at her wink and then cleared his throat. "Regardless if you are 'ready to let me go or not', perhaps I can accompany you on a walk for a bit later on. I can take a late break to make time for it. Alba can watch the library while I'm away." Hopefully this wouldn't be the worst mistake of his life. He still wasn't entirely sure what he thought about the strange woman but... maybe that was how friends were made? "In any case, you didn't answer my question. Is there anything further that you require assistance with, madame?" He said with a serious look. It went without saying that he took his job very seriously.

316| @Arachnae | notes

you can only think

10-22-2020, 04:19 AM
  Reply  | 
He huffed a little, a noise she actually found quite adorable and enacted a slight wag of her tail. He stated how he knew the sacrifices he made, but his words seemed hesitant.
"Still, the sky in such a state does sound rather enchanting..."
"It really is. she said quietly, so it wouldnt interrupt him.
"Regardless if you are 'ready to let me go or not', perhaps I can accompany you on a walk for a bit later on. I can take a late break to make time for it. Alba can watch the library while I'm away."
The rose woman felt her tail turn to a slow way, and the confused cobra around her neck began to dance erratically, hood puffed out, excited like her owner. Silently Rinora chanted about how friendship was magic, and that her lonely lady-in-waiting needed some, desperately. Arach's face remained passive, but in her brain she wondered exactly who Rinora was married to to make Arach the lady in waiting. Maybe she didnt actually know what it meant. "Thats wonderful new to hear you will come with me. And if you need, upon our walks end, I could return tomorrow and help you with whatever paperwork you were behind on." she suggested. "And thank you, but i should be able to take care of my wounds quite well. I will read through the book and return to my supplies to do what i need, and upon the fall of dusk, I will for our walk." the spider wolf stated, opening the book to a chapter labled in contents as "Treatment and care of neck wounds".

10-22-2020, 04:33 AM
  Reply  | 
Tyto Aspen

Tyto could see the enthusiasm in the other wolf with the wags of her tail, he didn't return the motion or really the excitement. Whether he would enjoy the company or not was still up in the air but he would try. What was even more peculiar was the dancing motion of the monocled cobra. Strange. Was that normal for them to do? Perhaps he should study it more closely, maybe this interaction would be even more meaningful later.

"Sort paperwork? Oh no no no, those are very important documents given to me by very important healers." The only person who's eyes he trusted on those were himself and, of course, Alba. Not someone he'd just met! But... "However, I do have plenty of books that need sorting. You could help me with that." To have someone else be able to sort books, well, that would be a load off of his mind. With no other staff at the moment he was quite harried to get all of it done plus have enough time for the important city-documentation.

Tyto nodded his head at her words. So, she was good, in that case... "Very well, Miss Arachnae. I will leave you to your research and retire to continue my work up front. I will await your arrival at dusk. Until then, good luck." With that he would dip his head and then retreat so that he could continue to read and then file away the birth and death records.

248| @Arachnae | -exit Tyto-

you can only think