Frostbound
Run toward the sun
Welcome to the fray
or Register
PM 
houses in motion
10-17-2020, 04:55 AM (This post was last modified: 10-19-2020, 08:01 AM by Lugh.)
  Reply  | 

Lugh roamed the thread-bare tendrils of evening Marketplace, where the citizenry smothered into a dizzy crawl of club-goers and drunkards and thieves. The stench of mead and urine choked an already suffocated night, the midday burn and kindle stretching unto the black, colorless sky. Honest, cleaner merchants, of whom Lugh had great respect, settled into their nests away from the mess of adolescent indulgence; the few shops still open offered less than savory merchandise, the taste of alcohol, drugs, and bodies. Against a good time, some might say, those charlatans outside those shops swindling people into their sweatshops and whorehouses, or the cabarets and clubs filled with sorry failures and degenerates.

Granted, Lugh held most leverage in nightly places such as these, their sleuth nose discovering Templar or nobles in tight embraces with prostitutes or an unbelievable high. Many perhaps hope to find Lugh embroiled here, on a desperately lonely night looking for skin or a escapist drink, cradled in debauchery. But, the thought alone made bile rise up Lugh's throat, threatened to spill on the ground and ruin a day. Evening in the Marketplace meant only one thing to the captain, not nights of fun or a good find; it meant intel, a hushed whisper of someone or something crawling between the sticky fingers of the Order.

Pressed against the farthest wall beside the loneliest table they could find, Lugh listened in to the bar's many conversations. The building housed a run-of-the-mill barkeep, a safe haven for fail-sons and marooned women, and the laughter permeated the entire room and shook Lugh with its frequency. How could people be so happy at rock bottom? How could they grin and sing in loud songs even as their lives wasted away to nothing? Lugh had duty, a purpose, something to wake up to everyday and go to sleep thinking. Living in drudgery and laughing away failure would perhaps lead Lugh to an early end.

Linus, their familiar hound, left some time ago to scout for more suspicious activity. He had been worried, actually, that the clientele here would single Lugh out and kick them out despite their rank. Lugh assured him that the people were too drunk to care. Lugh was another face on the wall, a blurry image of maybe two or three iterations, wobbling in and out of vision. The patrons wouldn't recognize them, Lugh felt safe in knowing.

@Arachnae

Code by Dusk

art by eevee <3
*IC dialogue may refer to Lugh as male and by masculine pronouns, especially by those who do not know them personally.*
10-17-2020, 03:06 PM
  Reply  | 
The market was alive with the filth of the night, and as it livened, so did the nocturnal lady. Around her neck coiled the sunrise cobra, clinging to her master like a nervous toddler. Arachnae knew where she was going, knew exactly what she was doing... Heading to buy Rhododendron from her usual black market poisons dealer. The apothecary woman knew how to mix the plant with other herbs to create the perfect tranquilizer, the perfect drug to get Harkon his victims. The only thing keeping her from being returned to the bastard woman collecter she had escaped three times. Perhaps he wouldn't even take her back this time... Since she castrated him.

The rose woman turned down an alley way, coming upon a black wolf with a grey mask. Their exchange was unspoken, he handed her the flowers, and she gave him the coin. Arachnae put the plants in a small saddle bag strapped to her side, and she turned, leaving the wretched marketplace crevice, coming out to stand at the side of another black and grey wolf. He, oddly enough, smelled an even amount of estrogen and testosterone- though he was clearly male. Perhaps it was along the same line that she was geneticly mutated- maybe not. Who knew. As she went to leave, a caravan of horses and a cart, followed by wolves began to pass through. A traveling trader- how annoying, how inconvenient. She sat, a few feet from the male, her serpent companion stretching herself towards him in derpy curiousity. "Rinora, leave him alone."
@Lugh

10-19-2020, 08:00 AM (This post was last modified: 10-19-2020, 08:02 AM by Lugh.)
  Reply  | 

The barkeep rounded over to Lugh again, eyeing Lugh up and down in challenge. His primate familiar, which clung to the man's neck tightly, also appraised Lugh like a disapproving parent. Those looks bored into the captain, and they had a distinct feeling the barkeep had an idea of who Lugh was. And though pride surged for a moment after realizing this, Lugh relented and decided to play the part the barkeep had graciously let Lugh keep. With a sneer, Lugh ordered a hot tea. The barkeep snorted and shook his head but dutifully set his familiar to the task. A few seconds later and Lugh lapped at a their drink, served in an opaque receptacle—gracefully hiding its contents.

The barkeep rounded over to Lugh again, eyeing Lugh up and down in challenge. His primate familiar, which clung to the man's neck tightly, also appraised Lugh like a disapproving parent. Those looks bored into the captain, and they had a distinct feeling the barkeep had an idea of who Lugh was. And though pride surged for a moment after realizing this, Lugh relented and decided to play the part the barkeep had graciously let Lugh keep. With a sneer, Lugh ordered a hot tea. The barkeep snorted and shook his head in disbelief but dutifully set his familiar to the task. A few seconds later and Lugh lapped at a their drink, served in an opaque receptacle—gracefully hiding its contents.

The chatter that had plateaued over the past few minutes roused again, fast like a riptide, and the booming of a group chanting to a worker's song reverberated right to the core of Lugh's chest. Oh, how they wished to have followed their familiar's advice—this was worse than being recognized. Out of the corner of Lugh's eye, something moved in their direction. The captain recoiled bodily, face turning swiftly to the offending intruder only to realize that it was a snake slithering in too close for comfort. Its owner was distracted by a passing caravan to notice at first but quickly turned Lugh's way and pulled the familiar away. When the other referred to Lugh, however, any semblance for silence shattered.

"I beg your pardon, him—" The protest quickly died in their throat, remembering exactly where they were drinking a fine tea, and who they were talking to this late into the evening. Lugh bit back anymore retorts, instead opting toward conversation; the light mirth in their voice was a complete farce. "Y-your familiar, what a curious little thing. Rinora, you said its name was? What a pretty name."

@Arachnae

Code by Dusk

art by eevee <3
*IC dialogue may refer to Lugh as male and by masculine pronouns, especially by those who do not know them personally.*
10-19-2020, 04:31 PM
  Reply  | 
He began to say something, the word <>him spoken with scorn, and Arachnae's ear flicked, but her dull expression remained thr same. Then his tone changed, a lot. It became cheery over the mild irritation from his before brief words. Maybe she shouldn't think of him as.... "Him?" Maybe that was her mistake. If she felt she was male, but was called "she" all the time, perhaps the rose woman would also want to snap necks. "Yes, Rinora. Her curiousity gets her into places I find it hard to get her out of. But I promise, she wont bite unless commanded- and so far she has no reason to be commanded." Arachnae said, giving them a sly wink and a small smile. "I wish this place were emptier, but it seems i will be here for a long while." she stated. She thought carefully over her next words, and then looked at her dark company with a lifted eyebrow, ".... Them? They?" social interaction waz so strange to her. Maybe they would understand what she was asking.

10-21-2020, 07:31 AM
  Reply  | 

The tension depleted in Lugh's bones, curiously. A tentative smile pulled at their face, slightly unnerved by the woman's words and subsequent wink, and a breathless laugh left them before they could stop it. Perhaps it was the atmosphere that threw them for a loop, disarmed them enough to be open to conversation with a ghoul of the night. She had a scar across her right eye, and she looked like a frequenter of the many seedy shops of the Marketplace. Lugh continued their act, however an iota more honest than before "Right, I agree. It is not as enjoyable with such a crowd."

The woman ventured into innocently asking for clarification on what they meant before interrupting themselves. And Lugh's throat constricted at the her admittedly simple question. "Oh, ignore me. I was just caught off-guard. Refer to me however you wish." The captain hoped that was at least a somewhat acceptable response, but saying it out loud—something stirred in their chest, like looking over a cliff and the surge of adrenaline that followed. They had never said that to anyone before.

"So, what brings you here, miss...?" Lugh inclined their head, expression open. If she did not wish to be referred to miss, Lugh would soon know. The captain offered their own name, a simple half-truth to conceal their identity even somewhat. "I am Troy, by the way. Pleased to have made your acquaintance."

@Arachnae

Code by Dusk

art by eevee <3
10-21-2020, 03:03 PM
  Reply  | 
She had a feeling she still shouldn't call them 'he', even if they said otherwise. She really didn't feel like making him uncomfortable, and so she would stick with neutral pronouns. He presented his name, and Arach thought about what to tell him hers was. She had just completed an illegal transaction, so her real name likely wasnt wise. Last name. It was real, just not her first name. "Hello Troy, you may call me Soule. A pleasure to meet you as well. As for why im here.... Business. For my work." she concluded. It was true. If he asked, she could tell him Apothecary, which was a very wide netted term. Could mean she did healing salves, anything really. "And you....? I don't imagine one comes here to drink from a streetside vendor. Not when the brothel is always open, and provides wondeful service- and less scorn to its customers." her last words were accompanied by a pointed side look at the tender, her eyes slightly narrowed. The way he had treated Troy was quite rude, even if he didn't say anything to him directly.

10-25-2020, 05:44 AM
  Reply  | 

"Soule." Lugh tried, nodding as the woman relayed her business in vague terms. Most stated their profession outright, either proud or uncaring of the looks one might share upon hearing it; the ghoul however simply mentioned 'business' and 'work', as if it were universal. Suspicion trickled into Lugh's eyes, eyelids narrowing slightly and head already sleuthing; what kind of business brought a woman to a rock-bottom bar? She had no uniform or other regalia to mark her establishment, nor a disposition that specifically read into a career. She could be a trafficker, a seamstress, even a teacher, and Lugh intended to figure it out. "So, 'business' and 'work' brought you here? Forgive me, but that is a little vague -- you have to admit." Lugh cracked a wry smile, words light and slightly teasing. They had to shimmy the information out of her, even if it meant debasing themselves. "So, what really brings mysterious Soule out at night, I wonder?"

Another lap of their tea, another rowdy crowd surging, Lugh prepared their response. The captain lightly scorns at mention of a brothel, a blip of their truest opinions there upon the scrunch of their nose. Wonderful service, for desperate men perhaps. Lugh never considered themselves desperate--or a man. "There is less expectation here, I suppose. Less work to get to your drink and -- drink. A brothel offers something I simply do not seek, and frankly, those places are filthy." Lugh glanced over to the tender, but not in indignation. The man recognized Lugh, upon them entering, and had yet kick them out. "But I appreciate the scorn here. It reminds me that I do not belong, so that I must work for what I will achieve." Lugh looked down, smirking to themselves, finding the double meaning in their own words.

@Arachnae

Code by Dusk

art by eevee <3
10-25-2020, 03:24 PM
  Reply  | 
He questioned her vague explanation, but she didn't plan on giving him any more information. Arach couldn't help but think he seemed out of place, like a porcelain doll among grass poppets. She lifted her head a bit, smirking. She would give him something, something true.... But not descriptive. "Im an apothecary." she answered, "And night is the best time for someone delicate like I, cursed with erythism. The sun is very uncomfortable." she added.
There is less expectation here, I suppose. Less work to get to your drink and -- drink. A brothel offers something I simply do not seek, and frankly, those places are filthy- But I appreciate the scorn here. It reminds me that I do not belong, so that I must work for what I will achieve.
Arachnae agreed that they weren't the.... Cleanest. But she enjoyed the drink, and the company of her current muse- the brothel owner, Feyra. Oh what a ruby gem she was. "You do not belong, hm? I share the feeling you dont quite belong here. You stick out like a sore thumb. You seem a bit rich for the marketplace blood. What exactly.... Do you do?" she questioned.